Saturday, May 23, 2009

Road Trippin'

Xaiden and I got back from Amarillo yesterday evening. On both days we left at 10:30 am and arrived at our destination at 5:30 pm....yuck! But both boys travelled really well. We only made two stops on the way there and one on the way back. The drive back home was easier as Xander wasn't in the backseat to wake Xaiden up when he fell asleep. I swear, every time he'd be asleep on the way there, I'd look back and Xander would be leaned over Xaid's face whispering something to him, or touching his foot, or poking at him, or who knows what else when I wasn't looking.

Xander didn't sleep at all during the trip, and was so excited about it before we left that he was nagging me all morning with, "Momma, let's just go." I tried explaining that I had to get everything packed up first, but he kept at it. So, I told him that when the clock said "one, zero, three, zero" we would leave (at the time it was 9:30). In order to ensure that we did not miss our departure time, he decided he would sit up on the counter and watch the clock. After a bit, he called me over and said, "Momma, Momma, LOOK! It's almost time to go!"....it was 9:41 :)

When we arrived in Amarillo, LaLa met us at the car. I'm not sure if she or Xander was more excited. We ate dinner, then headed back across the parking lot toward the hotel. Upon stepping down off of a curb, LaLa proceeded to trip and fall on her butt. Unfortunately, I wasn't sure if she was hurt or not, so I didn't get to laugh about it, but she and her friend Laura did. If it had been ten years ago, I wouldn't have even stopped to consider that she might be hurt, and now I can't even enjoy a good fall. I'm getting old. But, I digress. When we got back to the hotel, LaLa, the boys, and I went down and played in the pool for awhile. Once we got our showers and put on our jammies, Xan decided that the best plan was to not stay the night at the hotel, but just go ahead and drive to LaLa's house. We convinced him to stay with a potential swim in the morning, and this satisfied him for the night.

We had a really nice night visiting with LaLa and Laura. I'm pretty sure that Laura got more than what she had anticipated when she agreed to come on this trip. When it was time to change into swimsuits, Xander ran right in front of where she was watching TV and dropped his pants and started running around and cracking up. When it was time to put on jammies after getting out of the shower, she asked him if he could dance like the guy on the TV and he did....naked. And at some point in the evening I'm pretty sure that Xander farted quite close to her face (possibly more than once). She was great though, she just took it all in stride.

We all left yesterday morning (after much urging by Xander), and arrived home in the evening. I guess Xander told LaLa last night that in the morning he wanted to come back home (apparently he really enjoys road trips), but he changed his mind this morning. It feels really strange around the house without him here, but it is giving us more time with Xaiden, who is officially crawling (I made it official today, but don't ask me what my criteria are b/c I don't really have any). He is really loving his new sense of freedom, and his favorite thing to pull up on is the mini trampoline in the living room, but I'm not sure why. You'll see what I mean in the video.

Xaiden's personality has really started to develop over the last couple of weeks as well. I believe his personality would be best compared to that of The Incredible Hulk. There have been many times in the recent past that I've taken something away from him and thought, "Don't make me angry....you won't like me when I'm angry!" Although he gets quite mad and squawks very loudly when something he likes is taken away, in general he is a very happy and easygoing baby. I think the Hulkish qualities will prove to be pretty important over the next few years, how else will he keep SpiderXan in check?

No comments: